Important Meetings and Events
Comments or Questions? Use this Contact form. I send out eblasts about once a month and would be happy to add you to the list. Thanks!
Board of Adjustment – Agenda for May 19, 2022 @ 7 PM – request to expand Lot Coverage on Pine St. CANCELLED
Residents can attend most meetings in person or via U-verse Channel 99, Comcast Channel 16, or on the City’s Facebook page
Website Redesign Survey Please take the time to help the City staff better understand and improve the City website.
Problems with stray cats? If you are in Bellaire borrow a live trap from the BPD. Check with SNAP for low-cost spay or neuter https://www.snapus.org/houston/. Friends for Life https://friends4life.org/programs-and-events/fixhouston/ HOPE https://www.homelesspets.net/feral-cats/TNR Houston site: https://www.houstontx.gov/barc/trap_neuter_return.html and PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO THESE ORGANIZATIONS.
New Bellaire High – Expected Completion in 2022
Construction on the new Bellaire High school began in 2018. The original building was demolished during the week of July 13-17, 2021. Find a Quick update here.
100 Years of Bellaire History!
And for a terrific photo history check this out: www.bellairebook.com
Recycling, organic gardening, less pesticides – all win/wins for our kids and our community. So are reusable bags!
Find informative articles here.
Left Overs From the 2016 Bond Issue
Spruce and Fifth Streets – Now the subject of a lawsuit, the $3.2 million in contracts for this project called for completion by February 15, 2020. A drive through the area feels as though you’re in a rundown fun house. Here’s some background on this project.
Houston Metro is planning a circulator routefrom the Gulfton area to the Westpark Transit Center. This Center also connects the Silver Line to the Northwest Transit Center.
No More City Of Homes?
According to the City manager and staff our longtime City logo, representing Bellaire as a City of Homes, will soon be gone, thanks to City Council and the $50,000 branding study. Read more here.
HCFCD – Brays Bayou Updates & New Flood Maps
BRAYS BAYOU ASSOCIATION MEETING
In PERSON and via Zoom, see link below
Monday May 16th, 7:30pm
4300 West Bellfort 77025
Willow Meadows Baptist – FELLOWSHIP HALL Here’s the link for MONDAY’S BBA meeting *Guest Speaker*We are extremely honored to have the “Dean of the Texas State Senate,” Senator John Whitmire, as our guest speaker this month. Senator Whitmire is “new” to the Brays Bayou Watershed with his redrawn district now including many of the watershed’s mid-reach cities and communities…Bellaire, West U., Southside, Meyerland, Westbury, Willow Meadows, the Maplewoods and many more! Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
86206140055?pwd= N256cXpTTkNGN2xIRXpoQzBlK3RCUT 09
Flood Issues – Insurance, Flood Elevations, Subsidence
How Base Flood Elevation is Determined
Find information on Flood Insurance here: https://www.bellairecivicclub.com/are-you-covered-up-to-date-on-your-flood-insurance/
HOUSTON A YEAR AFTER HARVEY: WHERE WE ARE AND WHERE WE NEED TO BE
Jim Blackburn, J.D. Professor in the Practice of Environmental Law, Rice University; Philip B. Bedient, Ph.D. Herman Brown Professor of Engineering, Rice University © 2018 by the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy of Rice University Read more here.
Articles on Causes of Flooding in Houston
FEMA: Substantial Damage/Substantial Improvement
Little FREE Libraries
Find Bellaire and West University News Here
- Public Hearing: A Mixed Use Development Is Proposed In The UV-T
- How Are Things Going In The UV-D District?
- Bellaire P&Z’s Discussion About Questionable Zoning Ordinances
- City Notice: Flood Risk Management in Bellaire Workshop Information
- Discussion On Flood Mitigation At The April 4, 2022, City Council Meeting
- Urban Renewal? PDs For 4800 Fournace & 5901 South Rice Avenue Are Approved
- P&Z Hearing March 10, 2022, For 5201 Bellaire Blvd
- PDs on Fournace & South Rice Were The Subject of A Third Council Meeting
- ChristChurch Presbyterian in Bellaire Is For Sale
- Website Design Survey and State of the City
- Why Are We Really Losing City Staff? What Should We Expect From Management and City Council?
- Variance Request For SW Corner of Bissonnet @ Loop 610 – Update and Public Information Request
- Master Drainage Concept Plan for City of Bellaire – UPDATE – Preliminary Cost is $335 Million
- City Council Election And More Possible Changes At City Hall
- P&Z Wll Consider 3 PD Applications For The NBSDD, The Former Chevron Site
- A Few Of Bellaire’s Many Comprehensive Plans
- Trying To Deconstruct The Bellaire City Budget
- North Bellaire Special Development District Updates
- Loss Of The 15% Discount For Flood Insurance – How And When Did This Happen?
- Any Thoughts On Short Term Rentals In Bellaire?
- Bellaire Church of Christ Requests Additional Parking Spaces For A Lot On South Rice
- Some Thoughts On The Orations By Members Of City Council Re The Proposed NBSDD
- UPDATE on Public Hearing Before City Council – Proposed Zoning For The Old Texaco/Chevron Property
- Bellaire City Library’s 70th Anniversary!
- The Parking Lot At 4300 Bellaire Blvd Will Soon Be Gone!
- The Next Step For SLS Properties (The Old Chevron Property)
- Another Last Minute Request For Hundreds Of Thousands Of Dollars
- Bellaire’s Timeline For Water Service + CenterPoint Update 2-19-2021
- Update on NBSDD Public Hearing on January 14, 2021
- North Bellaire Special Development District – The Great Wide Open!
- Why Would Bellaire Pay Over $400,000 For Building Officials?
- The City Of Bellaire Is Now Dealing With Another Lawsuit
- Is Bellaire Ready For The Cost, Uncertainty Of Turning Over Wastewater Treatment To Houston And Demolition Of Our Wastewater Treatment Plant?
- No Logo, No Welcome Sign – Just A Parking Lot At The Main Entrance To The City Of Bellaire?
- A Semi-Brief History of Evelyn’s Park: 1908 – 2020
- HISD Baseball Field Layout and Conditions – November 2, 2020
- City Council in November: HISD Ball Fields, Bellaire Blvd Parking Lot, Debt Reduction, And A Search For A City Manager
- A Lawsuit, HISD Fields, Our WWTP.2, The Siemens Contract, And Evelyn’s Park. Good grief!
- September In The City! Our Wastewater Plant, The AT&T Property, The HISD Ball Fields, And The Bellaire Blvd Parking Lot!
- Another Developer Wants A Variance – For 1.99 Acres on Bissonnet @ 610
- What’s The Point Of Our Urban Village-Downtown?
- P&Z Hearing 8/13/20 – Update 9/4/20 – The Parking Lot At 4300 Bellaire Boulevard
- Not Interested In Bellaire’s Proposed FY2021 Budget? How About A $6 Million Dollar Dog Pound?
- A Primer on Bellaire P&Z: Updates, A 30 ft Minimum Height And A Zero Setback!
- Can We Just Stop This And Reboot? Save Our Businesses And Our Commercial Area?
- 51 Trees May Be Removed From The Gordon Elementary Campus
- A Status Construction Owner Spoke At City Council
- City Council Is Back In City Hall, And Back In Action!
- Catching Up With Bellaire – As We Sheltered At Home
- South Rice Avenue In Front Of City Hall – Do We Have To Live With This?
- Bellaire After The Virus Shutdown – In Transit and On Hold
- A Breath Of Fresh Air In Bellaire City Council Chambers
- Bellaire’s Trend For Commercial Development – Residents Had Better Pay Attention
- Open Letter – Bolivar, A Double Standard. Is It Time For A Change?
- City of Bellaire – Beautification or Boondoggle?
- Bellaire City Council – A 5 Hour Marathon
- Bellaire City Manager Addresses A Problem With Fraudulent Surety Bonds
- ARKK References For A Status Construction – We Have A Problem!
- Hopes For A New Year And A New Bellaire City Council
- P&Z – HISD Sport Fields and AT&T Bissonnet @ 6400 Loop 610 – UPDATE
- Bellaire Receives Grants For Bond Projects and an Urgent Care Center Is Approved
- A Quick Update On The November 5th Election and December Runoff
- Why Has Bellaire, Our City of Homes, Become A Target For Commercial Developers?
- 4800 Fournace Place – P&Z Meetings – UPDATES
- An Ornate ‘Streetscape’ Behind a Multi-Story Grocery Store? Why?
- Bellaire Council’s Careless Oversight – $6.5 Million Dollars of Bond Funds
- If Bellaire Can Afford A $280,000 EMS Ambulance, Why Not A Ford Pickup Truck?
- The Sky’s The Limit! At Least For Now…
- Did Bellaire Voters Miss The Fine Print in the 2016 Bond Election?
- All That Debt – Where Has The Money Gone?
- Where Do We Stand On The $12.8 Million Siemens Contract?
- Mike Jacobs – A Presentation to Bellaire City Council, September 9, 2019
- 4301 Bellaire Blvd – Can We Trust Our Zoning?
- Bellaire – Back to Basics? Sounds Like A Plan!
- Tax and Spend – Bellaire Council’s Budget Session #3 and Some Updates
- Bellaire Budget FY2020 – And The City Manager’s Hit List!
- Bellaire Property Taxes Up 25% Over The Next 5 Years?
- 4800 Fournace & 5901 South Rice – Development & Apartments – Undermining Residents and Our City of Homes?
- Bellaire’s Future & the Status of the 2016 Bond Funds
- Flood Mitigation Task Force Meeting March 26, 2019
- Council Meeting March 4, 2019 – “Vote No Bonds” and A Raise For City Manager
- Welcome To A Lush Grove? Now It’s Migrated To The City’s Website!
- How Much Debt Is Too Much?
- How Is Our City Money Being Managed?
- Council Votes 6 to 1 To Proceed With The Spruce/Fifth St Project at 2/18/2019 Meeting
- 15. Bellaire’s 10th Decade 2000 – 2008 A Centennial Year
- Cost Savings Won’t Lower The City’s Debt – See A Debt Comparison Courtesy Of The Texas Comptroller
- What’s All This About Downtown Redevelopment in Bellaire?
- About Those Bids for Spruce and Fifth + Maple and Bolivar
- A Sidewalk Petition and Some Fireworks at the January 28th Council Meeting!
- 2019: Drainage Plan – Town Hall Meeting – Spruce St
- A Master Plan For Wasteful Spending – While Harming Local Businesses
- City Council Update on Spruce/Fifth St Leads To An Unpleasant Exchange; The 4th Quarter Financial Report Is Available
- Chapter 14 – Controversy and Changes In The Last Decade Of The 20th Century!
- A New Addition To The Menu: Our Environment
- Yes to Chevron Property, No to Car Wash, Pause in the Sidewalk Saga
- 2019 Budget is Adopted – Future Bond Program Planning Session – A Possible $47 million Bond Issue in 2019
- Bellaire History In Tangible Form – The Centennial Walk
- Answer The Call For A Referendum on Sidewalks